Defaults

It's so frustrating...
I'm trying to set a new screen with the proper colors. I need to
change the default for "highlight setting," for the main text
screen. I can do this through the advanced/preferences/screen
cursor and window color defaults menu. BUt...even though I check
the "make changes permanent" box, and then the "permanent"
button, it won't save my changes, so the next time I load
XyWrite (v. 4.014/DOS), it has the old, useless settings.
  I checked Settings.dfl, but couldn't find a line that seemed
to refer to the highlight color. So how the heck do I do this?
  Please reply by direct E-mail; I am stil getting this list
only sporadically.
  Thanks.