Re: Minimal XYWRITE & DOS Virtualization

Reply to note from Matt Gumm  Sat, 10 Mar 2007
14:21:33 -0800 (PST)

> 1) How to get some original disks of the original XYWrite
> program--what I'm running now is a downloaded copy from the
> internet

I wouldn't worry about original disks, IIWY. Just make sure you're
running the latest (last) version of EDITOR.EXE, v4.018:

EDITOR  EXE   681824   8-23-1999 12:09pm

Command ? to find out what version you have. There is NO reason
to run any version earlier than 4.018. If you use the menus, I
recommend getting the updated copy of XY4.DLG at XyWWWeb (search for
"XY4.DLG").

> 2) How and why I should install U2

It's all laid out for you at XyWWWeb. Worth installing, IMBO (In My
Biased Opinion), if only to rummage around and see what's there.
You may find one or two useful things.

"Installing", BTW, is a bit of an exaggeration. All you need to do
is copy a few files to your XyWrite directory, configure a
in your KBD file (the key used to launch U2 programs), add a line to
LOAD XYWWWEB.U2 in STARTUP.INT, and you're off. Depending on which
U2 routines you use, you may eventually need to edit the user
variables file (XYWWWEB.REG), but that can be done in your good
time.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx