Re: LFN Utilities for Win32

** Reply to message from "Martin J. Osborne"  on
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 10:07:31 -0500

> I use XyWrite to edit files on a linux server, using a Samba
> connection. All the LFN utilities work fine.

That's great! That's especially interesting to hear, because I was wondering
whether the Linux file system would store LFNs in a manner that also preserves
a second (8.3) SFN and that is compatible with, or understood by, Win32. So
you're CAlling and editing files that reside on a Linux server? How do you map
the server to your Windows machine, using driveletter(s)? (I guess you must,
because these LFN utils don't [yet] understand UNC filenames like
"\\SERVER\D\docs\filename". I use UNC names on my LANs. One of the sad things
about Xy4-DOS is that you can CAll an UNC filename -- "CA
\\SERVERMACHINENAME\D\filename" and you can COPY them and so forth, but the one
important thing that you canNOT do is get a DIR display of an UNC directory.
In Xy3, you could do that. But no Xy4 problem if you map the remote
drive[\dir] to a local driveletter.)

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx