The Dreaded He*p Taboo Again

Here is another message that didn't get through. To save me all this extra
work forwarding messages, occasioned by a particularly dumb "feature,"
please check your messages to make sure the word "he*p" does not appear in
the first 5 lines. If you have to put it in, move the body of the message
down with blank lines. Sooner or later I am going to get tired of this:

At 05:42 AM 3/28/97 EST, Eric Van Tassel [an insomniac?] wrote that

>Just in the past few weeks, my XyWin has developed an irritating new glitch.

I can't help you, I'm afraid--though, if you really didn't back it up [tut
tut!] and if Kenneth Frank doesn't voice an objection, I suppose I could
e-mail EDITOR.EXE as an attachment to private mail.

What happens when you use this printer driver for a program other than Xy?
And again, I've no idea what a Zenographics LaserJet SuperDriver might be,
but why not try to get by on that while the HPLJ5L driver is unplugged for
a few days for diagnostic purposes?

If your HPLJ5L driver could be corrupted, reinstall it. If it could be
corrupted on the distribution diskettes (which hard to believe), download
it from one of HP's websites--I think they post everything for the public.

As it happens, I too have just bought an HPLJ5L. I haven't had any problem
remotely similar to what you describe. (You'll note that I don't say I
haven't had any problem.)

N. Sivin
History and Sociology of Science
University of Pennsylvania