Re: Mac and Xy

--- On Sat, 8/1/09, Myron Gochnauer  wrote:

> From: Myron Gochnauer
> Subject: Re: Mac and Xy
> To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Saturday, August 1, 2009, 3:54 AM
> > The general rule for emulation
> is that greater CPU horsepower + more
> > Ram (up to some point you're not likely to exceed
> anyway) = better
> > performance.
>
> More useable RAM always helps the computer as a whole, but
> it may not do anything for Fusion or Parallels.  I
> haven't done this for a while, but a year or so ago I tried
> different allocations of physical memory to Parallels,
> thinking that performance would improve fairly quickly and
> then round off into diminishing returns. In fact, beyond a
> surprisingly modest allocation, performance actually
> deteriorated!  I can recall the exact numbers, but is
> was somewhere around 512 to 640 MB that things started to
> slow down. At the time the optimal allocation to Parallels
> for my setup was 384MB.  On my MacBook Pro with 3GB of
> memory, Fusion recommends that 512MB be allocated to
> Fusion-WinXP.

That seems rather odd, and is contrary to what I've seen or
heard. Certainly, in the extensive VirtualBox or SVista
demos I saw, mentioned earlier, the greater amount of memory
being used (at least 4G.), clearly made a huge difference.
I saw various combos of XP, Linux, and eCS running inside
each other: that is, up to two guest OSes running concurrently
inside the host. Not just running, but running some of their
own apps. The performance was far snappier than I'd seen
such things previously, due to a faster processor and much
more Ram.

 Jordan

[SVista was a short-lived emulator solution for OS/2 | eCS,
which may have been developed by some of the former Connectix
people who worked on VirtualPC. I don't recall at this point.
I actually bought a license for this and have an install CD,
but never did anything with it, largely because I was given
to understand that better emulator solutions have come along
since then.]