Re: openoffice & xywrite?

Reply to note from "Robert Holmgren"  Sat, 11
Aug 2007 23:47:25 -0400

Robert:

> I know for certain that in a wet cell, e.g. a golf cart or ATV-
> type battery, if you let it drop below 50% you're just driving
> a nail into its coffin (and those are very expensive batteries,
> @ about $700/set). If you never let the charge go below 50%,
> they will last maybe 6 years, otherwise you only get 1-2 years.
> Are lithium batteries dramatically different?

According to BatteryUniversity.com, lithium-ion batteries lose
capacity over time whether they're used or not, but this "aging" can
be retarded by storing the battery in a cool place with a 40% charge
-- essentially supporting what you say. Supposedly lithium
batteries have no "memory" (don't need to be discharged
periodically, as nickel-cadmiums do), but I'm not sure I totally
believe that. One thing is for certain, though (in my experience):
overcharging them repeatedly is the kiss of death.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx