Re: Off-topic request for assistance

Re Eric v. T's two questions:

1. There are excellent books entitled "Word 97 Annoyances" and
"Windows 95 Annoyances" published, I think, by Reilly Associates
(sp?). There is probably a version for Win98 now. They survey the
bugs and asinine features that have remained unmodified through
version after version of these programs, and explain how to work
around or minimize them. I got the one on Word to see what I
would face if I installed the version that came with my computer,
and after reading it decided to keep avoiding it like the plague.

Why not get rid of Win 98 and install either Win NT or Win 95
OSR2?

2. Re ISP's, I would hesitate to sign up for one of the free
email accounts so widely on offer. They (e.g., Hotmail) generally
tack an ad on to every email message. That means that one someone
(e.g., I) uses a browser with spam filters set, the messages will
bypass the Inbox and go directly to Trash.

Cheers,
--
Nathan Sivin
History and Sociology of Science