Programming request: delete to next X

My Xy programming skills, never more than minuscule, have all but dried
up during years of effeteness. Thence a request to those proficient in
the art.

I think the following program would be useful (to me, who stands at the
center of my world, but possibly also to one or two other Martians):

Invoke "del to next X" program.

Program waits for any keypress, e.g. comma, period, semicolon, bracket, or
Enter for hard return. (This keypress is intended for the eyes of the
program only, it does not get entered in the text.)

When keypress is detected, program deletes all text between current
cursor position and next occurrence of pressed key (e.g. comma, period,
semicolon, bracket, hard return).

Program terminates.

That's it. Simple, no? (If you know how to wield the XPL quill, that is.)

With hat in hand,

Wolfgang Bechstein
bechstein@xxxxxxxx