Shareware

  Of course you are entitled to your point of view, and I to mine.
But I would like to add that I think it mistakenly chintzy of a shareware
developer not to offer free registrations to those who provide them
with a service, however minor that service might be. The successful
commercial software developers know the value of building goodwill by
handing out free samples; this is an effective marketing technique.
WordPerfect Corp., for instance, blanketed the industry with free
copies of 5.0 and 5.1, and the goodwill that engendered was invaluable.
  Some people might think it mistakenly chintzy of me to allow people
to use my bulletin board to gather information for an article on
shareware registration without demanding a quid pro quo of some kind.
Not at all; I know that it'll build goodwill among writers for me to
provide a free forum for them to gather information.