Shareware

I tend to agree with you. My wife used to be a travel agent and resorts
would all too willingly provide complimentaty accommodations just so she
would put them in her database, especially upstart hotels and resorts.
It's simply good business. If someone is selling a program for personal
financial gain via your property and your clientle, they owe you a
promotional fee. You don't owe them your BBS. (I find many computer
programmers thinking of themselves as artists. In at least one
similarity I concur. They're as profoundly incompetent in business.)