Re: New XYENC 1/13/09 release

I found Harry Binswanger's 15 Jan 2009 12:12 post discouraging -- either
Harry's not paying much attention, or I'm doing a lousy job of getting
across what the XYENC work is about.

I've been found guilty of that before. As to what XYENC is about--I take it to be doing the same thing as U2 ENCODE.

Clue to Harry: it's not about inventing a "better" language. XPL is what
WE HAVE to work with, and what things like U2 are written in. XyWrite
doesn't support XyBasic,

I think you have a misconception about XyBasic.  "XyBasic" is the name I gave to the whole idea; the actual translation is done by my DOS program, XyComp.exe, which "compiles" the Basic-like text to XPL. (Later, I realized that it isn't really a compile, but a translation, since it's one-to-one.)

Think of XyBasic as a "front end" for composing XPL. I write all my XyWrite programs in the form of XyBasic, and then run XyComp.exe on it to translate or "decode" it to XPL. It ain't perfect, but it's 99%. In debugging, I do have to look at the XPL--mainly to see where my syntax error was.

Suppose I wrote an inverse program, call it BasicXy, to translate XPL into XyBasic language, wouldn't the pair would be doing exactly what your pair is doing?

XYENC is a tool to make XPL easier to work with and maintain, not to
replace XPL with the "perfect language."

XyBasic doesn't *replace* anything. It is a more intuitive way of writing what ends up as XPL.

Anyway, Carl mostly "gets it," even if Harry doesn't, so maybe it's not
all my fault.

I'm sure it's partly my fault. But there's a range, even on this list, from clueful to clueless. If I'm not "getting it" it's likely that a lot of less folks less clueful than I aren't either. If you want to take Robert and Carl as your standard, that's your privilege--but it's a mighty high standard.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx