XP -- WOW! Partial 32bit name support?

Here's something curious. I go into Xy4 under XP to edit a file called
"index.html." The directory in Xy4 shows "index~1.htm". I save it,
expecting to have to rename it in Windows. No, I don't have to! The file
has been saved as "index.html" even though the BACKUP file has been saved
by Xy4 as index~1.bak. Sounds like it's just another example of Dave's
great programming approach. I remember there was once a way that you could
move a file by renaming it. Does anyone else have experience with this?
Sounds like it might bear investigation.