Jumpy cursor in W2k

Thanks for responses concerning my jumpy xywrite III cursor running under
w2k which was okay under win98.  I've already tried the typematic rate
settings under control panal keyboard as suggested.  They speed up or slow
it down but don't effect the jumpiness.  I also just tried a shell
command in the config.nt file to run the win98 command.com but I get an
"illegal" error when I try to load xywrite. The computer is an IBM
ThinkPad 390X with 500mhz Pentium III and 320MB memory.
Gene