Re: Highlighting a line

At 03:23 PM 3/20/97, J. Besser wrote:

>Finding the cursor is only part of the problem. I started to think about this
>when I was considering jettisoning my resource-hogging phone directory program
>and using a simple XyWrite file; it would be a great convenience to be able to
>scroll down the file, and have each line be highlighted as I did so. I had
hoped
>there was some simple way to do this, since it's a normal function for Qedit.
>
>If it's gonna take a lot of fiddling, I'll stick with my kludgy phone
directory.
>Actually, the real problem is the size of the directory--more than 700
entries.
>ALmost ANYTHING but a straight ascii file is going to be slow.

I use a "Notes" file for everything that would otherwise be written down on
a scrap of paper (and promptly lost). I store phone numbers, too. And I can
dial by using the following simple dialing program (that requires you to
have ADT.COM--a free utility):
BX dos/nv /c e:\adt d 2 onQ2 XD GT LB DF LE PW DF [SV01]XD DF LE DF [SV02]
BX dos/nv /c e:\adt a 2 dt[PV02]Q2 BC Dialing [PV01]: [PV02]GT
[SX03,1][LB-A][IF[PV03]>20000][GL-B][EI]
[SX03,[PV03]+1][GL-A][LB-B]XD
BX dos/nv /c e:\adt a 2 Q2 [EX]

("e:" is my ramdrive--you put your relevant drive and path for adt.com)

This pgm will dial the number that you have placed at the END of any line.
The number can't have spaces in it (only dashes)--e.g.,

The Sheraton Commander 1-617-547-4800

All you have to do is put your cursor anywhere on that line and hit the key
to which you've loaded this pgm (I use alt-t for "telephone").

The program has a built-in pause that will hang-up the line after a few
seconds, so you can dial through the pgm w/o having picked up the receiver,
then leisurely pick it up while the dialing is being done; then the modem
hangs itself up, but you have the receiver off-hook, so you don't lose the
connection (unless you hang up or never pick up). The timing is controlled
by the "20000" in the code--you can change that to change how long the modem
holds the line off-hook for you.

Nathan: I could put ADT.COM on the ftp site, if there's interest.

I really recommend the Notes file idea, because you can add all kinds of
seemingly temporary bits of info right at the top of the file then search
for it with the SE // command. It's amazing how often a scrap of info that
you put in there two years ago turns out to be useful once again. I just
wish I could train myself to use it all the time, rather than resorting to
paper and pen.
I also have programmed alt-n to bring up the Notes file in a small window,
ready for a search:

BC window 9,34,3,44,8XC BC ca c:\notesXC BC se //CL

Regards,

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx