Re: OT: Ultraportables--recommendation sought

Harry Binswanger wrote:

Oh-oh. I hate long boots. What speed processor do you have?
One of the reasons, I believe, that laptops are so slow to boot is
that they are 1) short of RAM; and 2) have slower hard drives than
desktops. The latter is with a view to saving power when the PC is
running off the batteries. The former is just to keep the price down
(laptop RAM is, IIRC, dearer that desktop DIMMS): this weekend at a
show and sale, dealers were offering 2d-hand laptops with 128 and 256
Mb of RAM running XP. I want 512 just for 98SE. I tired W2K on a 256
box, and it took 15 minutes to boot.
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx