Re: file searching/vista help

--- "Patricia M. Godfrey"  wrote:

> But getting such a CD is not exactly easy, esp. for
> Vista, for
> which, last time I looked, BARTPE wasn't available.

Hi Patricia,

You can find instructions on the web for making
slipstreamed XP install CDs, and I don't know why that
procedure could not apply to Vista. I don't recall a
mention of BARTPE being required for this, but I could
easily be wrong. One has to hope that Bart will
become available for Vista in time. In any case, this
is apt to be a project for the more advanced user.
Business IT departments have a different mandate, and
need to be prepared for these contingencies.

> AFAIK the
> only commercial products are Norton Ghost (and I
> consider
> Symantec a virus monger) and Acronis True Image,
> which I tried,
> and liked at first, but then every time I tried to
> make a
> subsequent backup, it would malfunction and I would
> be told I had
> to upgrade.

I have used their Disk Director product with success,
and also bought True Image 10, even though I mostly
use DFSEE for imaging. The TI 10 suite was supposed
to have an easy "BartPE Lite" type of option included,
but it was broken in version 10, and I don't know if
they ever fixed it. Their "Migrate Easy" product,
included in TI 10, did work for me, the one time that
I used it.

> > fixes are probably important to have (unless your
> > computer is hermetically sealed, and you never
> > download anything or go out on the 'Net)

> Well, that's what BBB wants one to think. But I've
> NEVER added
> updates (I'll put them on if available when I'm
> setting up a
> system, but not once I've added apps), and so far
> have not (knock
> wood!) fallen prey to any major infestations.

Maybe you've been sufficiently cautious, or just
lucky. I like to be able to venture far and wide,
with minimal concern. A lot of that I get from just
browsing on the eCS side, but I also prefer being
patched to recent levels on the Win side, myself.

> don't
> Google (because of the danger of being steered to
> sites that have
> been poisoned by cross-site scripting),

Can you elaborate on that ? (Off-list is o.k., if
that seems more appropriate.) I'm not too familiar
with this issue.

 Jordan