Minor capslock bug...

In Carl's last email he wrote: >Then the obvious solution is to make sure that CapsLock is off when >XyWrite starts up. There are command-line utils that do it. In >fact, you already have two of them: CAPSLOCK.EXE and GoXY.EXE are >bundled in U2UTILS.EXE. In the BATch file that you use to start >XyWrite, insert the following before the line that loads Editor:
Thanks Carl. I appreciate your help. Unfortunately, for some reason neither of these utilities seem to work on my machine.

Both utilities are in the same directory that Editor is in, and when I run the batch file with either they obviously run. Nothing changes however. Xy4 is still locked.

I might be doing something wrong on my end, but I can't think what. In the case of capslock.exe, I even ran it at the dos prompt, to no effect. Before I ran it capslock was on, so that everything I typed at the dos prompt was capitalized. After I ran it capslock was still on, with everything I typed still capitalized.

I should add some additional information that I have learned in the last day. The problem seems somehow linked to an extra keyboard TABLE I have in Xy4.kbd. This TABLE=XTRA creates an additional control key at key 26=, replacing the left bracket key, the same place this control key had been on my old TRS-80 Model III.

When I start Xy4 with capslock on, I can unlock Xy4 by merely pressing this control key once.

I spent this evening going through this TABLE=XTRA to see if there were any keyboard commands that might be making Xy4 choke. As far as I can tell, there are none (though I could be missing something). I have also checked to make sure 26= is a null throughout my kbd file. It is.

As the King of Siam once said, "It is a puzzlement."

Bob
See my books and essays at:
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze3cxxp/zimbib.htm