Re: vDosXy on OS X

Please correct my [Myron's] understanding of how xDosXy is used:

2) vDosXy runs only in a Windows environment. FLASH: negative. I have
it running in OSX, not Windows virtual or otherwise.

4) vDosXY\autoexec.txt should be modified to be compatible with your
conventions for the location and naming of directories. Instructions
are in autoexec.txt. FLASH: yes, some tweaking of paths was required
to get it running in OSX.

5) vDosXY\config.txt may not need any changes to get you off the
ground. (Mouse support is disabled by default.)  Config.txt allows
setting of DOS-system-wide characteristics, like DOS’s config.sys, but
what can be configured is different (i.e. config.txt is similar in
general purpose, but not precise content, to config.sys). FLASH: I
have not changed anything in vDosXY\config.txt; so far so good.

Is that about it? FLASH: not quite. See below.

Thus, to use vDosXY on a Mac, you must have a functioning Windows
emulation or virtual machine. FLASH: negative. What I have is an
emulator (CrossOver) which allows Windows applications or DOS
applications (incl Xy) to be installed and run WITHOUT installing or
running Windows! Running Xy in CrossOver is as fast as it ever was
under W2K, much faster than it was on my G4 PowerBook in VirtualPC (a
complete virtual w2k installation).

I don’t know what problems I might run into, but by using 1-5 above,
XyWrite IV seems to be working rather nicely on a MacBook Pro with OS
X 10.10, Parallels Desktop 10, and Windows 8.1. FLASH: don't change a
running system if you are happy with it... but you might at least try
the CrossOver + vDOSXy variant to see whether you get better
performance out of it (less overhead than Parallels + Win 8.1).

I haven’t tried Wine (or CrossOver). FLASH: source for CrossOver:
https://www.codeweavers.com/products/