Re: Upper ASCII characters in XyWrite under vDosXy

Hi Carl.

Try this: open a command prompt window in Windows. First, command CHCP (no argument). What code page is reported?
Active code page: 857
Next, command CHCP 437, then TYPE ASCUPPER.TXT. Any difference from XyWrite in the display of characters?
Yes, there are differences. Under DOS, the characters I see in the problematic positions are Turkish. For example: #: my XyWrite / your XyWrite / my DOS 128: euro / C cedilla / C cedilla (’) 141: infinity / i grave / dotless i (ı) 152: lower case phi / y umlaut / dotted upper case I (İ) 158: upper case phi / peseta / S cedilla (’) But the characters I see when I TYPE the file in DOS aren't affected by the CHCP setting---I see the same characters with CHCP 437 as I do with CHCP 857. That behavior led me to think that CHCP doesn't completely change the Code Page, or at least doesn't change what needs to be changed to get DOS to display the "right" characters. And that led me to a solution to the problem! Control Panel -> Clock, Language, and Region -> Region and Language -> Administrative -> Change system locale -> English (United States) Now I see exactly what you see---which is what I'd like to see. I don't understand what determines, under the Turkish setting, the characters XyWrite displays. But in any case my problem is solved! Because I had a similar problem on my old laptop, which was purchased in Canada, I didn't think it had anything to do with the language setting. But perhaps the setting on the old laptop was English (Canada) or even French (Canada). Many thanks for your patience in guiding me to a solution! Martin -- Martin J. Osborne http://www.economics.utoronto.ca/osborne Theoretical Economics, a journal of the Econometric Society http://econtheory.org Follow TE: http://twitter.com/EconTheory