Rewriting Ctrl,Capslock...

I'm having trouble getting my keyboard file to do what I want. (This in my
XyWrite III Plus 3.52 version.)

What I'd like to do is switch my control, alt, and capslock keys around. The
Capslock key would act like a control key, the Right Alt key would become the
capslock key, and the (former) Left Ctrl key would act like the former Right
Alt key.

I thought, aha, I'll write a new keyboard file that takes the old "Shift
Definitions"

   KEYS=104
   CTRL=29,99
   ALT=56,98
   SHIFT=42,54
   CAPS=58,T:C

And makes them:

   KEYS=104
   CTRL=58,99
   ALT=56,29
   SHIFT=42,54
   CAPS=98,T:C

I wrote such a keyboard file. But...while it loads OK ("Done"), the keyboard
doesn't react. The Capslock key (that is, the plastic cap embossed with "Caps
Lock") acts the way it always did--as a capslock. And so forth.

In XyWrite, I know you can probably rewrite your Caps Lock key definition so
that the key sings "Hello, Dolly"; but maybe there's some conceptual reason
it's not possible to do the switch-around of basic functions (that is, control
to alt to capslock) I've outlined above.

Any solution to my problem or explanation why my keyboard-file solution won't
work? Thanks for any advice.
  ---Art Haupt, Arlington Va. (my board name here is Art, for reasons not
clear to me.