Re: Converting from Word to XY

** Reply to note from xywrite@xxxxxxxx Tue, 25 May 1999 20:08:41

>I'm trying to convert some Word Documents to XY format. When I use the
>import facility in XYWin, I get a couple of squiggles, and that's it. No
>text. No nothing. What am I doing wrong?

>Paul Breeze

For one thing, you're not telling us which version of MSWord you're using --
or what version the documents you want to convert were composed with. If you
don't know, then LIST the document and look near the end, it will
say what version it is using.

The key point is to "Save-as" the document, under MSWord, in "Word 6.0/95"
format. Then everything will go smoothly. If the document was saved in Word
8.0 format, you get zilch. Saving as Word 6.0 yields much better results
than saving in Rich Text Format.

See further the explanation at XyWWWeb (search for "freestanding use").

Good luck.

---------
Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx