Startup Error Msg, U2 Commands, Etc.

Thanks to all for your responses to my earlier postings,
especially for your specific suggestions that I try such-and-such
commands. Remember I know (or once knew and can look
up) the native commands, but only in the last day or so have
I tried any U2 commands. Further, I have at least 300 pages
of instructions printed out (documentation for U2 file, XyWWWeb.u2,
HLIST help frames, the longer Index to Help frames).

I have two problems in absorbing this information. One is
finding the command and/or explanation that applies to a
specific situation. The second is vocabulary. For example,
some time ago, Robert told me that on XP XyWrite was
running on VDM. I guessed this meant Virtual DOS Mode,
and was searching fruitlessly for that on various help screens. Once
someone told me it was Virtual DOS Machine, I found a
lot of information. Similarly, I thought  was a source
of help. After Patricia told me to execute U2 commands by
using  after typing the command, things started to
happen.

Now, here's where I am in pursuing your suggestions.

The error message on startup was Invalid Default Setting 1.
I have attached my Startup.int and Settings.dfl files, and would
appreciate any suggestions on how to get rid of this
apparently harmless message -- or correct any other problems
you spot.

Also, please note that there files begin several spaces to the right.
Is this due to the default LM command of 10, or is something else
going on?

This msg is being written directly on Eudora, so there shouldn't
be any problem with extra long lines. However, there is another
small mystery. A couple of you mentioned lines 75 chars long.
When the msg came back to me from the server, the longest
line was 40 chars (including blank spaces) on Eudora. Is some of
the length problem due to the software being used to receive e-mail?

I deleted GENERIC.PRN, so now only POST-HP4.PRN is installed.

I produced a list of commands by typing TABLE COMMANDS
on the command line. The commands I recognized, however, were native
XY commands. CLIP was not there, nor was cURL. Is there a list of
U2 commands? Also, I couldn't print the list of native XY commands.
How does one do this?

Finally, about CLIP. After I started using  after CLIP, it
produced a msg saying "Clipped 20 bytes." And when I tried to
retrieve the file in Eudora or Notepad, it only produced
"C:\XY4\$VER$.TMP, 652" This doesn't seem to be working
properly.

So far as I could determine CLIP.EXE was installed. Following the
documentation instructions, I ran U2UTILS.EXE, then
LOAD XYWWWEB.U2, and then REGCFL.PM. CLIP.EXE
should have been installed along with the other utilities.
CLIP.EXE is now resident in the XY4 directory (where I have all the
XY4 folders, commands, and things I've written on XY.
I also tried TEST-INSTALL CLIP.EXE and got the same
Welcome to V119 display I got by typing TEST-INSTALL

I opened CLIP.EXE on XY4. The file was preceded by a statement saying
the file could not be run on DOS.

Where can I do get CLIP.EXE to copy from XY4 to Windows apps?

Thanks for all your help.

John

John H. Kessel
Ohio State University
kessel.1@xxxxxxxx
ÿ?«DEFAULT DR=C:\XY4\ÿ?;*;
ÿ?«LOAD C:\XY4\XYWWWEB.U2ÿ?;*;
ÿ?«LOAD C:\XY4\SETTINGS.DFLÿ?ÿ?;;*;
ÿ?«LOAD C:\XY4\XY4-3.KBDÿ?;*;
ÿ?«LOAD C:\XY4\PERS.SPLÿ?;*;
ÿ?«LOAD C:\XY4\XY4.MNU+C:\XY4\XY4.DLGÿ?;*;
ÿ?«LOAD C:\XY4\XY4.HLPÿ?;*;
ÿ?«LOAD C:\XY4\DICT.HYPÿ?;*;
ÿ?«SETP 1ÿ?;*;
ÿ?«LDSGT C:\XY4\SAVEGET.SGTÿ?;*;