Re: Stack errors revisited

Hi Tim,

On Thu, 28 Dec 1995 12:34:38 -0500 you wrote:

>I'm thinking of removing some items from the ENHANCEd system, and I'm
>wondering how widely they're used.

I just ftp'ed your Enhanced add-on, and I have to say I rather
like it. I'm sure others have felt more impact than I have, though, since
I only tried to use XY4 for about a month or so, two or three
years ago (too damn many menus ) and hadn't touched it since. However,
I've gotten more accustomed to OS2 and Windows applications, so
I've apparently gone past that little quirk about menus. So when
I reloaded XY4 and tried it again, with the Enhanced stuff
installed, I found it quite a bit more usable than earlier. I
also don't have any use for the items you mentioned, so leaving
them out wouldn't affect me. I wonder if anybody uses them?

One question, though. My copy of XY4 is version 4.011, and I
seem to remember seeing your warnings to use it with version
4.014 or later. Is it liable to detonate if I keep on this way?
(I'm a bit reluctant to upgrade something I disliked so much
three years ago that I threw away the manuals and just barely
talked myself into keeping the installation floppies.)

My only real gripe with XY3 is its inability to make RTF files
for my customers who insist on using toy (i.e., Macintosh)
computers. At present I'm using DeScribe to polish up the
layouts and save to RTF files, but it'd be nice to use XyWrite
for that. Of course, version 4 also solves that mild annoyance
with 3+ of footers and page numbers creeping upwards if a page
isn't completely filled with text.

For some reason I've never been able to make XY4 either import or
open files properly from other formats. While it'll "Save As"
with no problem, it always just imports or opens files directly
as ASCII without converting them. Is there a trick I've missed?
I spent a lot of time on that when I first got it, but never did
have any success, and that was part of the reason I got so
frustrated with it.

Charles Burke, Tokyo