Subject: Re: Off topic question.

M.W. Poirier wrote,
≪Does someone know the name of the font that is (was) used in the DOS
window under Windows95,?≫

According to a book I have here (Windows 95 Secrets, by
Linvingston & Straub) the DOS fonts used in Windowed DOS sessions are
stored in the files Vgaoem.fon (or 8514oem.fon), Dosapp.fon, and
Courier.ttf; the Microsoft Plus! (M$'s punctuation) included a Lucida
Console TT to take the place of Courier.ttf. The individual files contain
more than one font each, says the book: the DOSApp.fon file contains 8
fonts. There's a lot more in the book. I can try scanning and OCRing the
pages (2 or 3) and sending them, or I could photocopy and snail mail. Is
this of interest to others or should we take it offlist? As I have three
systems running 95, I must have them there, if you need copies. I have no
idea whether one could transfer them to XP. One should be able to install
the TrueType one, either Courier or Lucida Console, but whether XP would
use it in DOS sessions is another matter.

Hmm, I just looked for *.fon on my 98 SE system and found a whole
addtional set in the Win98 Resource Kit folder, keyed to codepages. Those
95 fonts use the original IBM PC-8 character set (again per the book).

Patricia M. Godfrey
PMGodfrey@xxxxxxxx