Re: XyWrite installation

Reply to note from User  Sun, 26 Nov 2000
09:44:01 -0500

-> I'm unable to install XyWrite 3+ (ver. 3.57) in a Windows ME
-> computer (PIII, 866 mhz) with the same startup.int as I had in
-> a Win95 machine, though I have made a direct copy and
-> installation of the whole old XyWrite directory (folder)through
-> a Zip disk. I do obtain a working version of XyWrite, but with
-> none of my screen color, printer selection, keyboard etc.
-> customizing.

It sounds like the XyWrite program directory isn't the current
directory when STARTUP.INT runs. If that's the case and your LOAD
commands point to bare filenames without path statements (as they
should, for portability), the files won't load. You need to adjust
Properties to make Xy the working dir on startup. Right-click on
your Shortcut to Xy, and select Properties. The box for the working
dir is on the page that has the path to EDITOR.EXE. (Can't be more
specific, as I'm not running Windows here.)

-> Also, when I close XyWrite, a DOS window remains on my screen
-> -- which I then have to close, additionally. In Win95, quitting
-> XyWrite brought me back to a clean desktop.

Again, the solution is in Properties. There's a box that says
"Close window on exit" or words to that effect. Check it. Let us
know how you do.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx