Re: Footnotes

Myron Gochnauer:

I had no trouble printing out (chapter by chapter) camera copy for a book
containing cross-references both to page numbers and footnote numbers. I did
use the FM command, since you can't format footnotes on the page without it.
But there is a trick to labelling xref targets in footnotes, described
rather laconically in CR 4-114, bottom. The label must be the "first thing"
in the sense that it directly follows the string "FN1". The xref won't work
if, for instance, it follows the period that you have inserted after these
three characters.

If this wasn't your problem, the fault may lie with some glitch in the hardware.

I might add that, after printing out the first volume _(Science in Ancient
China)_ using Word Perfect for Windows 6.1, it was a great relief to use XW
for the second _(Medicine, Philosophy and Religion in Ancient China)._ The
former makes preparation and placement of graphics easier, but I saw no
other advantage, and in this book the only graphics were scanned figures
placed on the text page.

N. Sivin
History and Sociology of Science
University of Pennsylvania