OT: DOS booting

At Robert's suggestion, I got a file that enables booting into DOS and
burned it a CD (some other DOS booting programs require you to have a
floppy drive, which my laptop lacks).
However, it turns out that this one (which launches Caldera DR-DOS) doesn't
allow you to do anything but READ ONLY operations. I can't write anything
to my C: drive, which it recognizes. It also, on my system, won't run Xy.
It begins to load, then issues an EMM386.EXE error--something about a fault
in device driver or program (must be the program: Xy), and reports
Exception 6: invalid Opcode.

It does, however, recognize USB devices, such as my external disk.
Anyone know of a DOS booting program that can be burned to a CD, allows writing to C:, runs Xy, and supports USB devices?

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx