Re: OT: DOS booting

--- Harry Binswanger  wrote:

> Anyone know of a DOS booting program that can be
> burned to a CD, allows
> writing to C:, runs Xy, and supports USB devices?

Harry,

Probably the FREEDOS (open source, I believe) that is
used on the DFSEE bootable CD will do all or most of
what you want. The USB part, definitely. Writing to
C: may be complicated by the fact of C: being FAT-32,
or -- more iffy -- NTFS. In those cases, I don't
know. DFSEE itself has ways of writing to a FAT-32
partition: I drop the partition images I've made with
it to one, in just this manner. How far FREEDOS
itself will take you, I'm not sure. The bootable
DFSEE CD (which you make by burning an ISO file to CD)
creates a ramdisk when run, to hold program files and
logs.

It has been my intention to alter this bootable CD,
adding diagnostic and other util.s, and why not my
favorite word processor, while I'm at it ? But for
now this remains on the 'To Do' List. Actually, I
tried by simpler, more overt means once -- trying to
"edit" this cd in the course of copying it, but
failed. In order to accomplish this task, I think I
will need an actual ISO file editor. Something like
ISOFS in OS/2, or MKISOFS, which is multi-platform, or
failing that ISOBUSTER. DFSEE is shareware, and can
be found at DFSEE.Com.

Jordan