Re: XyWrite Mac DOSBox Printing

On Aug 13, 2007, at 3:17 AM, Fred Weiner wrote:

Move FO.TMP to the Mac desktop, (or elsewhere), as http://FO.PS (this can be done in Terminal: "mv /'location of fo.tmp in xy'/FO.TMP ~/Desktop/FO.PS"; there are any number of other ways to accomplish, and to automate, this step).

Once http://FO.PS is where you want it, open it in Preview.app (or any application that converts a postscript file to a pdf). This can be as simple as a double-click on it's icon if your system is configured to open postscript files in Preview. The file will be converted to a PDF in Preview, and can be printed to your installed Mac printer from there.

The U2 frame TYP can not be used within DOSBox on a Mac, since it requires Win32. I welcome anyone's suggestion for improving on this technique. Those with the required expertise to really make the task hum (you know who you are) do not appear to be using Macs; more's the pity as I would love to see XY ported cleanly to Macintosh OS X (built on Unix) without the need for the expensive, distressingly complex commercial emulators.

This may also be a hack of sorts, but you could write an Applescript that looks for a certain file to exist on your desktop, and when that file exists, sends it to your printer, and then deletes the file from the desktop. You could also write a script on the Xy side to create your PS file and copy that to your desktop, where your Applescript would take over.

I had toyed with automating this as well, but I have been able to print to my printers via VPC, and it was kind of cool just copying the PS file to the desktop and then double clicking and getting a PDF file by default.

Russ