Re: redirecting LPT1 to a USB printer

Patricia

Re your queries below. I'm using Windows 2000, print perfectly with
TYpP or from Windows from XYwin. I have a USB broadband modem, but no
network card either onboard or inserted. The printer is shared, and
everything else is set up correctly because I can get so far as to hear
the printer initiating, getting in position to print, as it were.
Except that nothing happens.

Actually I think the problem is my printer, a HP1000. It comes with its
own utility for printing from DOS so it is not actually a problem for me
but I was trying the configuration out for future reference. However on
looking at the spec of the printer I suspect it doesn't understand PCL,
and that its DOS LPT utility translates for it. So when that is
bypassed, using NET USE, the printer does not understand what it is
receiving.

By the way, I think the loopback is necessary if you don't have a
network connection. Without loopback XY reported a printer error,
whereas with it, it just wouldn't print.

Paul

Patricia M. Godfrey wrote:
Paul Breeze wrote:
http://www.columbia.edu/%7Eem36/wpdos/winprint.html I have tried this, with only limited success. When I set everything up as instructed,
Which version of Windows are you using? I've read this page once, and I really do NOT see the need for the loopback plug. Perhaps if you have a W2K or XP PC with no network card in it, but NICs have been onboard for years now, no? Did you go through the preliminary steps (paragraph beginning "If you are not certain whether or not your computer is always connected to a network...")? I don't have access to a W2K or Xp box that ISNT on some kind of a network, but I know that I can print to the USB port on the office W2K box, from Xy, even when NONE of the other PCs in the network are turned on. The card is in there (it's actually some circuits on the Mobo), the network is configured, but there are no connections available temporarily (and no Internet connections throug the network; only intermittent dial up); but Xy prints. Let's get rid of the obvious things first. Is the printer shared? Can you print to it from Windows? Have you run the Net use command, exactly as specified? (I think we had an instance of it posted here a while back with a space missing). Run it with the /Delete option to clean out any possibly previously mis-set instance. Do you have a NIC (network interface card [or circuit]) in your PC? (Look in control Panel, System.) I cannot believe you don't, unless this is a laptop? and ancient. Which lpt designation are you using? Is the SAME lpt port specified in Xy's Pick Printer table?