Re: redirecting LPT1 to a USB printer

Paul Breeze wrote:
I have a USB broadband modem, but no network card either onboard or inserted.
I'm sorry, but I really find that hard to believe. First, how old is
this box? PCs have had NICs integrated into the mobo for several years
now. Second--and those with firsthand experience of broadband correct
me--but I've always heard you HAVE to have a network card (or
circuits) to use broadband. Is there something on the back that looks
like a phone jack but is slightly (very slightly) larger?
The printer is shared, and everything else is set up correctly because I can get so far as to hear the printer initiating, getting in position to print, as it were. Except that nothing happens.
Again, can you share a printer if there's no network connection? Did
you look in Control Panel to see if there is a network adaptor?
Actually I think the problem is my printer, a HP1000. It comes with its own utility for printing from DOS so it is not actually a problem for me but I was trying the configuration out for future reference. However on looking at the spec of the printer I suspect it doesn't understand PCL, and that its DOS LPT utility translates for it.

Now that may very well be the problem. Today I had to do some chores
at the office. When I finished, I booted up the W2K box. Every other
PC in the network was turned off. Really off, with the surge
suppressors flipped. (When modern PCs turn off, they're often not
really off, but maintain a trickle of electricity; and they can Power
up on LAN, if you've set that. I quite see that that could be very
useful in certain situations. But with our power fluctuations, I think
it better not to risk it and really shut them down.) There is a NIC in
the box (built into the mobo), and the network is configured (very
messily, IMO: NetBeui, IPX/SPS, and I think a couple of other totally
unnecessary protocols bound to the NIC). I once, months ago, ran the
command
net use lpt2 \\ThisPC\HPDK842C /Persistent:Yes
Just once. Ever since, I can print from Xy (DOS) to the DeskJet, which
is connected to a USB port. Including today, where there was no way
the PC could access the network. Well, maybe: the cat5 cable is
plugged into a fast ehternet switch (DLink), which is uplinked to a
CAble/DSL router (Linksys). Both have power (only thing I don't turn
off, because when I tried to, my coworkers... Well, never mind. It
just caused problems.) Could they have "convinced" the PC it was
connected to a LAN?

NB There is NO broadband connection. Our tech guy got us the router a
couple of years ago, when we got the XP box. Management keeps telling
us, Broadband real soon now.
By the way, I think the loopback is necessary if you don't have a
network connection. Without loopback XY reported a printer error,
whereas with it, it just wouldn't print.

It probably is. I just find it hard to believe that you could have a
PC capable of running W2K (and maintaining a broadband connection)
that wouldn't have a NIC in it. But the NIC would have to be
configured (protocols bound to it, etc. as detailed in the Web page
your referred to).
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx