Re: LFN Utilities for Win32

Reply to note from Harry Binswanger  Wed, 18 Feb
2004 13:55:05 -0500

> But what about user modifications/additions?

Easy. Reserve a place at the top of U2 for your personal programs
and modifications. Just MoVe any frames you modify to the top of
the file, issue LOADHELP, and ABort U2.

When it comes time to install a new version of U2, delete everything
from the end of your "personal" section to the end of file and MErge
the new XYWWWEB.U2 _under_ your modified frames. That way your
modifications will take precedence over ours. (When a Help file,
including U2, contains different frames with duplicate names, the
first frame in the file is the one executed.) Of course, you'll
lose the benefit of our improvements, fixes, etc.

Better still, rename any frames you modify, so that you have the
best of both worlds. After you upgrade to the new U2, execute your
framename to run your version, ours to run ours. Then you can judge
for yourself, for any given frame, whether our revisions warrant
porting your modifications to our updated routine.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx