Printing Mystery

I hope you can help me with the following problem, which is both puzzling and
annoying. After buying one of the Speedo Font packs from Bitstream, I proved
that I could turn Image Mode on, load the HPLJ-4.PRN driver, get XY4 (DOS) to
believe that my Series II printer was a Series IV, and print out a wide variety
of Typefaces in a range of sizes. (I think I did this with the Typefaces
demarcated in the Type Dir. Window with an "*", not just those marked with the
up/down arrow to indicate full scaleability. But at this point I couldn't
swear to that.) I still have some printing samples to prove it. Why am I now
getting error msg.s telling me that "Image Mode is not supported for this
printer"? In fact, everything seems to come out in the same 10 pt. Courier.
The IM=1 instruction in my STARTUP. INT has no effect, and my trying to effect
the default manually is rebuffed. I haven't made any changes to the Startup
file in quite some time, nor to HPLJ-4.PRN; recent adjustments to SETTINGS.DFL
have been limited to the Mouse and Cursor speed variables.

The printer has 2.5 meg.s of memory. It worked before, so it should still be a
workable proposition. There must be something I'm over-
looking.

Last night, I wasted a couple hours trying to print a simple headline in 24pt.
size, in *any* of several typefaces. This morning, I can do it -- with
another word processor ! -- in a couple minutes.

And you wonder why some of us cling tenaciously to version 3.5x ?? At least
with that, we know the limitations, and how to get exactly what we want out of
it. And right now, printing wise, I can do a hell of a lot more with getting
fonts and point sizes on paper with 3.5x than I can with 4.0.

Down with Speedo!