Re: Query

Dear Carl,
With my limited knowledge, the beauty of XyWrite is that it will work with
any thing.
Since 1986, I upgraded from old 88 processor, 286, 386, Pentium, and now
even on my laptop Pentium4 Sony with windows XP as operating system, I
always copied xywrite into a directory I call editor on the C drive.
Since it works from DOS, I had no problems with it.
So my guess is get any machine, it will work. I bought my daughter a second
hand small laptop ( Dell Pentium 3 processor, and windows ME operating
system for only 300 quid), created a directory for her and copied Xywrite;
it works fine.
I copied the editor.exe file into an icon on the desk top so she can click
on it, and a dos window ( full screen) opens and the xywrite takes her to
her writing directory.
But I must add, I do not do fancy things with it XyWrite ( you can also copy
what you wrote to another fancy programme document?).
Since I mainly file to newspapers and so I just copy the file into an email
and I send it ( either Eudora, or if I am working at some news room using
their machines ( as I am doing now at the BBC) I use Microsoft outlook
express.
I also have the basic working files ( which are about 16 or so ) of Xywrite
( copied from the atex version in 1988) on a 3.5 inches floppy disc and also
on the new memory key disc ( USB attachment disc) and carry it in my
briefcase. When I am working shift at media newsrooms where they don't have
Atex ( the Telegraph and the Mail where I work regularly still use atex), I
just create a directory on the hard disc of the machine I use through dos,
and I copy my XyWrite files into it, and I do my work on it, and transfer
it again ( it only takes a few minutes) and the time is worth it, as I am
more comfortable with XyWrite, and also the less we give credit to Bill
Gates and his evil empire, the better.

Best
Adel