Re: Wildcard replace and no 64k limit

Peter Knupfer wrote:

> I get "out of memory," "too many page elements," and other such error
> messages in large files, even though my machine has 20M of memory and
> all other apps besides Windows 3.11 are off. Perhaps I missed a setting
> somewhere?

This sounds like you are not giving XyWrite the EMS memory it desires.
In Windows 3.1, try specifying a couple of megabytes of EMS in the PIF
file for XyWrite or for the DOS box in which you run XyWrite. In Win95,
EMS should be allocated automatically. In straight DOS, you also need
to tell your memory manager (such as EMM386.EXE) that you want EMS,
otherwise it converts all of your machine's memory into XMS memory
that cannot be used by XyWrite for DOS (at least that's my understanding,
somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

I sometimes load several files of about a megabyte each, and don't get
those messages.

Wolfgang Bechstein
Technical translator            Japanese / English / German
Sakura, Japan          Tel 81-43-461-5911 Fax 81-43-461-5910