Re: Xy memory issues

Carl Distefano wrote:

> The Xy3 memory screen was summoned with func ME. The same func ME
> also calls up the Xy4 memory screen, but it requires that a Help
> frame named {{C,0m}} be present in a loaded DiaLoG (.DLG) Help file.
> A weird design choice, IMO, but there you have it. If you load the
> factory-issued XY4.DLG, you have this frame. (By the way, you can
> move or copy {{C,0m}} to U2, rename it to something more friendly,
> say {{Cmem}}, and call it up with MEM.)

Thanks for your reply. Oh, I have the screen -- it's just quite useless
for *doing* anything about the info it shows you. Maybe this is a
concrete example of one superiority to Xy-3. I could chuck stuff
overboard, if there was a need to lighten the mem. load. Sounds like
putting this in U2 would gain very little, in terms of utility.

> As you indicate, the memory screen can't be used to unload one or
> another module, as it could in 3. Xy4 dynamically swaps memory in
> response to user demand, so in theory a manual memory-clearing
> option is no longer necessary -- though it still would have been
> nice to have.

And it's something that can't be finessed with a U2 frame either,
apparently.

> The keyboard file is definitely a weak link, though. In my
> experience, if you LOAD and reLOAD even substantially the same .KBD
> file repeatedly, the out-of-mem message eventually appears. There's
> no clear connection with Save/Get or other memory usage -- at least,
> the connection isn't clear to me. My .SGT file is 170 bytes small
> and I still get it. It's a bug.

And that sounds as though making some more mem. available to Editor
won't provide a cure. I could be wrong, but I don't recall that .KBD

> here are my DOS memory settings in
> Warp 4. I get 640K per session, with about 400K available after I
> load Xy4.

Thanks for those. I'll compare this list to mine. (Haven't messed with
DOS session values in quite some time. I even forget whether it has to
be system wide for DOS sessions, or can be limited to a particular DOS
program.)

Jordan