Re: xyWrite 3 LF/CR/newlines [bang!]

≪ Can someone be so kind as to tell me what I need to
do to get my DOS XyWrite III+ to read downloaded UNIX
text files other than as one long line? UNIX uses line
feed (0A (010)) for end of line whereas DOS XyWrite
expects carriage return (0D (013)), line feed (0A (010)).
I can write a filter any number of ways but would like
XyWrite to read such files automatically. ≫ --Lowell Anderson

Hi, Lowell. In addition to the three excellent options
Dorothy Day suggested, you may convert line endings
with xpl. I lifted !FIXCR--the zipped and uuencoded pgm
below--(also) from the !xyWiz file/session manager !!!,
along with a couple of support procedures from a !xyWise
library. You might consider using it as the base for a pgm
that will rid downloaded files of unwanted boilerplate.
As is, if !FIXCR finds no isolated linefeeds or carriage
returns it does nothing. To make any xpl feel automatic,
assign it to a key; a your.kb3 sequence to do the XyQuest
FIXCR.EXE would do the same. ...

Re the bangs (!) Daniel Say mentioned, before there was
unix there were publishing and and the telegraph and wire
services--and thus linefeeds and carriage returns. (In
terms of its heritage, the unix linefeed is meaningless.
Not without justification, DOS joined LF and CR as the
newline char. Typographically and on the wires, LF advances
the carriage vertically, CR returns it to the leftmost
position.) Just as journalists understand "graf" in context
to mean paragraph and not a diagram, editors and no doubt
many others have long abbreviated "exclamation mark"
verbally to "bang." Life did not begin at Bell Labs. ... Ciao. 	--a

!FIXCR.UUE =======================================================

section 1 of 1 of file !fixcr.zip < uuencode 95 (v40) by R.E.M. >

begin 644 !fixcr.zip
M4$L#!!0````(`$UI,B7,\7"$D@(``!4%```&````(49)6$-2E53!;M-`$#UQ
MH%)OG)`0$U%0J[J)'5MMD*(D;5270PXH'`!QL%QGDU@XMK7K-DE/''&BW#<8^'5;A$RJ\GWVE9-O_W`P[9YI]5"],)J&@4-."\F$5)(J&*VT;M(
M:<64!,M&2'0NKC^)U7>Q>B^NOXK\"Q?Y9QD&SW:\_O#%P%4-.`9^6XXA5H'(
M]\7J@_H.Y!VF%JY"6:8J91HZ^[X\3'TX'!,_#4(`D3\H4@D5^4,,*9JQM4%<
M,W3R[;+_C:3EG5,6KIA.57*#4<9LKH7I^*6_,V=/:%B]2.@XCTD7'
M%GQ[2_HF\F_H1".6?G@#M]$?(@J]D,6/#M&+GRB`$0#53=,PY?71(==)Q>HW
M2I0CBY-LMR"4[Y4X+'8VB,9=/1Q%J=]X\H\$S/[?%/-8@V\#)6)P(L%:DG3)
M,:H544.P*K.:O&,J8UX/@XCX,5RDT!^"'X]@X'8!WO5A2=BODS[$2;4=:M!E
M.>7E3O^5+.7)!SG/XNB.
MZ4TB&=?K5ZG3G_(-<%9W,L\&)1$!NFA*DX\(?")7&L;4G\Q(G.%+,H/:8ODV
MQ-U5YQ6D$PS5:M">S^=UP@(_)?4@F36>'YWB.!EK>(LE9JM/LUG4@2")+PG-
M&.`_E+\$Z nyc
http://www.escape.com/%7Eyesss/_xypro.html ============================