RE: HP programmable calculator batteries

-----Original Message----- From: flash

> Brian,

> The link you sent returned an error.

Must be something at your end. Clicking in the message I sent to you works for me.

> I don't know it.

It's a site for people who often say, "Hey, I wonder what would happen if I put this component
in that machine..."

> I learned the battery trick from my father, a technical writer at HP in the 70s.
> Later he went freelance; he passed his XY3 disks and manuals on to me when he retired.

Wow...2nd gen XyWriter! Very rare.

> Many thanks for digitizing all the manuals. I haven't had a chance to look at them yet, but will do (to see what I'm missing in XY4).

I use the Xy4 manuals for Xy3. I haven't found that much that doesn't work for 3.

> I know everyone here swears we 'retros' simply _must_ upgrade to XY4.
> But shucks, at this point, isn't that like upgrading a '58 Buick Roadmaster to a '59 Buick Roadmaster?
> I use XY only for bulk text input. All formatting and printing is done in PageMaker (pc)
> or InDesign (Mac). XY3 does everything I need it to, in its box standard version.

If I actually used Xy the way most of the folks on this list do, I would definitely move up to 4.
But I use it the way Perl is often used; to affect massive changes to very large amounts of text.
Xy4 would be slightly better for that except for a couple of quirks that annoy me enough to keep me
away. Oh well...seems I'm weird no matter WHAT group I hang with.

> Cheers,

-B