Re: printing and print spooler

Dear j,
   I wish I had an HP Deskjet 500 on my desk.
   There is no way XyWrite, or any other dead or dying program, will have
drivers for a printer made since the program was written.
   However, most printers -- and, I believe, all Hewlett Packards -- are
backwardly compatible with drivers for earlier models. I'm running a
LaserJet 4 with drivers for the old LJ+ and the somewhat less obsolescent LJ
III.
   They seem to work find, but then, I don't make great demands on them.
Most of what I print is text, with occasional line art or bit-mapped graphics.
   Anyway, don't waste time perusing the XY manual.
   If you know a real expert, as opposed to a friend who overestimates his
knowledge of computers (we all have a couple of them, right?) he might very
well be able to modify one of the drivers you have to handle you new
printouter. If you find one, let me know. I need a LJ IV driver for
WordPerfect 4.2 that works with DOS 6.2.

>For Xy 4.017 DOS I have a HP Deskjet 500 printer with an expanded
>memory card inside. I am looking for a way to tell Xy this, but the
>manuals give little information. Am I able to modify my printer file
>in some way?
>jloud@xxxxxxxx
Lee Hickling