RTF file conversions with XyDos

One thing that has puzzled me about the file filters that come with
XyWrite 4.0 are the choices given for RTF file conversions. The
menu shows you can covert into RTF-ANSI, RTF-PC, and RTF-850, but
I haven't found any documentation to explain how these formats
differ. I've deduced that ANSI must mean ANSI code, and PC and
850 code pages 437 and
850, respectively, or something like that. But it's been unclear
to me whether this means you are starting with the relevant code
page or want to convert into the relevant code page.

Today I ran into a small problem that taught me more about how
RTF conversions work. I generally work in code page 437 and so
have been selecting RTF-PC when converting files to the RTF
format. I recently discovered that, when I use this method, the
yen symbol gets converted to an "O," not the outcome I desire.
However, today I learned that if I select RTF-ANSI or RTF-850,
the yen symbol is preserved (that is to say it is converted into
code that reconverts back into the yen symbol).

Being ignorant about the differences between RTF-ANSI, RTF-PC, AND RTF
850, I wonder if someone might be able to briefly explain when
one should use which RTF format or what are the advantages to each.

Thanks.

Dan Kanagy     Work: wordwise@xxxxxxxx    Play:
dkanagy@xxxxxxxx
Tokyo, Japan