Re: Screen Lengths

Carl Distefano wrote:
Oh, I see; you're talking about a windowed DOS session. It seems to
me that the display-font size, rather than the titlebar, would be
likely to affect *visible* screen length.
As my last post yesterday noted, it does to some extent, but only
by limiting what values are allowed in the layout tab of the pif
properties page. And if Xy DF SL and Window Size screen height
are properly matched up, one should not get these anomalies: one
may have to scroll down screen if one has a small monitor and a
large font (as I do on some systems), but all lines display
correctly. If they don't, I know something's skew whiff. And I
_always_ run in a window; full-screen isn't allowed under Vista,
and some of my other systems cannot support it (VGA BIOS is too
underpowered).

> On the
rare occasions when I toggle to a windowed session, I normally use
an 8x18 raster font, which displays the expected text area of
-3 lines, but if I increase it to, say, 16x36, the display is
truncated at Bottom_of_Screen by several lines -- even when the
window is "maximized".
Now that's making me wonder if raster fonts (I always use Lucida
Console) may have different effects on screen length issues. It
might explain some of the problems I've seen remain unsolved.
What do you mean by "truncated"? Just that fewer than SL-3 are
immediately visible, or that you cannot smoothly scroll down to
the next lines below the visible ones?
I just tried playing with switching between raster and Lucida
Console and discovered something else odd. If I go to a really
large Lucida Console (36 pt), yes, only 16 lines of screen are
immediately visible, but I can cursor smoothly down to the other
lines. But if I then revert to my usual 14 point, the Window Size
Height has been reset to 20, AND the Window Size Width to 46. The
resulting screen does, however, have scroll bars right and bottom
and--very unusual--I can drag the lower right corner of the
window till it gets back to its usual size, the scroll bars
disappear, and on reopening the Layout tab, Window Size Height
and Width are back to 25 and 80, respectively.
Curioser and curioser, as Alice said (and Tbird's spell checker
never read).
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx