Re: Going to Xy4 (was: Reverse-order printing)

Eric van Tassel wrote:

>	(a) *If I remember correctly,* all dimensions in Xy3 defaulted to 10ths
>of an inch but Xy4, because of the vastly greater freedom it gives you, demands
>that you specify (e.g. "IP3,0" in Xy3 = "IP3IN,0IN" in Xy4). (NB the ** above
>-- this may be a non-problem which I'm inventing in retrospect.)

This is controlled by a default setting: df uh=di,di in your settings.dfl
file (or d uh=di,di elsehwere) will make it default to the old system, so NO
adaptation is then necessary for this.

>	(b) Again, if memory doesn't deceive me, the Xy4 drivers for HP laser
>printers wouldn't recognize the "PT" strings inserted for the benefit of the
>Xy3 drivers. I'm not sure any more how this worked -- one of the things I
>*don't* do in Xy4 is delve into the printer driver -- but my recollection is
>that any old text file that had been prepared for specific fonts/sizes (rather
>than defaulting to 10pt Courier) had to be redone. But I'm sure that if it had
>been important enough to me I could have shortcutted by writing a simple
>search-and-replace macro.

Again, there is a default for the font, the symbol table, and the size.
E.g., I have in settings.dfl:
 df uf=CGTIMES
 df sy=10U,0,1,2
 df sz=12PT,12PT