Re: I want to go geek .. DOS subsystem

Harry Binswanger wrote:
The contents of that directory are *extra* utilities, that you probably never use anyway.
Well, I shouldn't say "never." Attrib (an external command) is vital
when a copy-from-CD routine has left Read-only and Archive bits on
files and Xy or some other DOS app is having fits as a result. If I'm
going to be doing a lot of work at the DOS prompt, I want DOSKEY
enabled (hmm, is that still around in XP? It is in 98Se), being a
lousy typist. And Xcopy gives you switches that copy doesn't. And
apparently subst is still around; I just saw a tip for using it to
make a directory looks like a drive (for people too lazy or clueless
to partition; or, maybe, stuck with a corporate policy against it).
That's off the top of my head; I'm sure there are other DOS utils that
are very useful. Not to mention Windows commands that are run from the
command line, like net USE.
And doesn't one U2 routine call ATTRIB? (the DOS command, not the Xy
native font attribute).

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx