Re: Orphaned software and legal recourse

Kenneth B. Frank may be a lawyer, but he didn't do a great job of protecting his "SmartWords" product name.  A recent HotBot search for SmartWords yielded:
     SmartWords is one of the growing number of Web based Sales Lead Development services available from AdTrack. [http://www.adtrack.com/laserprinting.htm]

       Feed your brain every time you logon, SmartWords 2000 is a freeware program; it brings almost 10,000 famous quotes from the most interesting people throughout history straight to your desktop. Quotes that will inspire you.  Packaged in a cool looking skin. [http://www.32bit.com/software/listings/Education/Games/_80P/20006]

There is not much point to registering a trademark, if you don't enforce it.

A frther search yielded this set of information relating to TTG investors:
     Investors
        Company Information          The Technology Group, Inc. 1 North Charles Street Suite 1300 Baltimore, MD 21201 Phone: (410) 576-2040 Fax: (410) 576-1968 Contacts at the Company
        Kenneth B. Frank, President and CEO Phone: (410) 576-1776 E-m

Perhaps our local member(s) cxould try reaching Mr. Frank at the CEO's number.

In a message dated 10/10/01 10:26:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time, bill@xxxxxxxx writes:

>If TTG or its successor simply closed its doors, the firm still owns the
>software.
>
>Ethically, once one knows this, there is then a problem.

Not for me.

May not be a problem ethically, but remember Kenny's an attorney, and I can attest that he has a temper.

I'd love to see Xycode be in the public domain, though. Knowing Dave Erickson, I'd bet that it's pretty elegant.