Re: OT: Lean and mean XP for a 256K machine

** Reply to message from Si Wright  on Tue,
19 Feb 2008 21:37:49 -0800 (PST)

> I was just hoping someone knows a little more about, perhaps,
> changing memory settings or priorities under the hood of XP.

Here's a copy of TList (inside TList.zip). Put it somewhere on
your computer, and at DOS command:

tlist.exe >tlist.txt

Then post the entirety of tlist.txt in a message here. Let's
see what's running on your machine. (You can run tlist without
the
">tlist.txt" redirection, to see for yourself, before you post
the dirty details.) (This doesn't compromise your security in
any way -- just shows the process list, bare bones. XP is
always running tons of unnecessary stuff. But why did you
knowingly buy such an underpowered machine? Penny wise/pou...
aw, forget it. You're only going to be able to make incremental
improvements. Maybe it will run one visible app, two or three
at most.)

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx