Re: Faxing from Xy

>> I have FaxWorks and I tried it (with David A.'s change to settings.dfl)
>> but it didn't work.
>
>Then you're doing something wrong. Struggle! RTFM.
No pain no gain, huh? Not for me. I've been there done that. That's the
point of these lists: if someone happens to know, they can save me the struggle.

Since writing the above, I've engaged in some struggle (1+ hr) to little avail.
Faxworks works fine from Word and self-test, but Xy can't invoke it. More
interesting: while Xy is loaded (even when setp 1 has been issued), the
print-test from W95's control-panel announces that the modem is unavailable
because "in use by another application"! When Xy is exited then FaxWorks can
function normally. But Word for Windows can fax out *despite* messages
flashing that the modem or comm port is unavailable.
Conclusion: Xy both is and isn't in control of LPT3.
> Did you install the
>FxPrint.FAX printer driver supplied by FaxWorks?
Just re-installed FaxWorks (twice). I don't have the "Pro" version, but saw
no option about this and a search of my hard disk shows no such file. In
fact, no (relevant) files fitting *.fax.
>Did you change the PP: setting in your Xy4 .DFL
>file to the correct number?
Yes. Before I did Xy gave me an error message when I tried to load the
settings.dfl.
> Did you issue the correct SETP # before TYping
>your file?
Yes. Xy thinks it's printed. Says "printing done." DOS dir doesn't show any
obvious file that's produced by the TYping (after setp 3)

>> I used:
>> LPT3  C:\XY\HP4-PLUS.PRN   FAX output
>> Is this right?
>
>Try this instead:
>3{tab}C:\XY\HP4-PLUS.PRN{tab}Fax output

Just tried it: no different.
I didn't think that could be the problem because the use of spaces instead
of tab is the same format I have for my actual (non-fax) printer.

Regards,

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx