Re: Dosemu, Linux, XyWrite -- another clipboard kludge

andy turnbull wrote:
neat idea -- but c:clip???
if I could save direct from xywrite to the clipboard it would be wonderful -- but where is the clipboard? I keep my xy test files in a directory below windows c:\a, but I can't find the clipboard file. Is it called 'clip?' Does it exist when there is nothing saved on the windows clipboard?
Bob was talking about cut and paste in Linux. You seem to be
talking about doing it in Windows. Is that right? Well, the issue
is solved--has been for a couple of years now.
You need to be running Xy4 and install the Xywwweb.U2 set of
utilities. Search the archives for instructions on using the
frame clipw. You need to assign "copy to clipboard using clipw"
and "paste from clipboard using clipw" (those are not the actual
key assignments, which are explained in the archive, but what
they do) to keys in your keyboard file, then use them. (I use
Ctrl-Shift C for copy and ctrl-shift v for paste, to keep them
close to the standard Windows assignments.) Robert's wonderful
routine--but here's how he described it to me recently, when I
had mucked things up on the Vista box through my own stupidity:

>>When you launch CLIP.EXE, it first looks to see whether
>>CLIP.TXT exists in Editor's dir. If CLIP.TXT exists, then it
>>knows to read CLIP.TXT and Copy the contents _to_ the Clipboard
>>(and then it deletes CLIP.TXT). If CLIP.TXT does NOT exist,
>>then it knows to Paste _from_ the Clipboard into a CLIP.TXT
>>that it creates.
Note that clip.txt gets created in Editor.exe's directory, not c:\ or c:\windows or c:\Program Files or anyplace else.
Another kludge in Windows is to run Xy in a window, define the
text you want to copy, click on the title bar, chose Edit, then
copy. The other way around, you define and hit Ctrl-C in a
Windows app, then in Xy, click on the titlebar, Edit->Paste. Slow
as molasses, and in Vista characters get lost. Not a patch on
U2's clip, but I was forced to use it when I was traveling and
discovered I hadn't brought all the U2Utils with me.
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
priscameg@xxxxxxxx