Re: Dosemu, Linux, XyWrite -- another clipboard kludge

** Reply to message from "andy turnbull"  on
Sat, 8 Dec 2007 17:43:04 -0500

> In fact, if done right in Xmacros I am pretty sure the macro
> would only require one keystroke to both copy clip.txt into the
> clipboard and then paste it wherever you want it.

Yes, I think that should be your goal: one keystroke -- indeed,
the self-same keystroke for both copying and pasting, a la the
current CLIP for Xy4. I haven't been following your thread
closely, but I see an awful lot of keystrokes in the suggested
approaches. Surely you could use any Linux macro language to
write a little script that reads/writes to the system Clipboard?
You don't need any special "xmacro" utility for that, do you? I
wrote a simple routine for Win32's "Windows Scripting HOST"
(CSCRIPT.EXE, aka Visual Basic Script=VBS), which you can get
here (useful as a template?):
 http://xywrite.org/msg02021.htm
I had to use AutoItX3.dll to communicate with the Clipboard,
because WSH lacks that feature (and I wanted to use WSH because
every Win32 machine has it); but most *nix scripting langs (e.g.
Perl) do have that capability. I think, for simplicity and
universality, you want to use a really ubiquitous language.

BTW, why are you guys still using Xy3? Not to re-open that can
of worms, but gee! everything you're talking about is soooo
much easier to code and do in Xy4... Takes about 3-4 times as
much code in Xy3.

Thinking further about it, I'd guess that the major hurdle is
triggering a macro in underlying Linux OpSys from your DOS
emulator. How do you overcome that problem? Or does the DOS
emulator have the built-in ability to communicate with the
system Clipboard? You're all using DOSEMU? I should drag out
my Linux box and play with this (someday)...

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx