Re: RE Error and correction beeps

Patricia M Godfrey wrote:

> I'm pretty sure now that it has nothing to do--directly--with opsyses.
> The difference is that my old machine is one of the
> last AT-form factor systems, the office one is ATX. ATX was more than
> just a change in form factor (geek-speak for 'size and shape') or even in
> the physical power connections. It was also a step in handing routines
> that used to be BIOS-dependent over to Windows. ACPI marks yet a further
> step along that route. What I need to check now is whether all ATX
> machines inhibit DOS program beeping, or only those with sound cards.

My system (desktop) is on its 2nd. ATX mobo, after I moved up from a P-II /
450
to a P-III / 850 about a year ago. But that makes it decidedly older than the
ATX
systems you are referring to. (I still have an ISA slot, for example. These
are
virtually extinct today, in the world at large.) I don't recall the error
beep status
running under W2K. Don't go there much, the last time being a couple weeks
ago.
Next time I boot into that environment, I'll test this out and report back to
you.
This is a custom-built system, which does have a sound card.

Jordan