Cannot Load Printer

To: List
 Thanks, but it looks like XYWIN may not be a true WIN App. More
following the answer from LEXMARK:
 LEXMARK Answered:
Some of our printers are USB only, and do not have a parallel port
option. True
DOS does not support USB functionality - only a parallel connection -
and, in
the case of our USB-only printers, any programs run under True DOS will
not have
an option to print to a USB port. You must either use the program from
within
Windows, or choose a printer that allows a parallel connection.

Most of our inkjet model printers will not print from a true DOS
operating
system. Their drivers are made to print from Windows only. Even though
Windows
95 and 98 both allow the computer to be restarted in a 'Command Prompt'
mode -
which is essentially DOS - we do NOT support printing from this mode.
Windows
ME, 2000 and XP do not have a command prompt mode outside of Windows.

...  ...

If using Windows 95 or newer, you can run a 'Command Prompt' window by
clicking
on Start, clicking 'Run', typing in 'COMMAND' (no quotes) and hitting
OK. This
will run a DOS Window inside Windows. If you are using this 'command
prompt' or
'DOS window', you MIGHT be able to run your DOS program in Windows and
print to
our printer if you meet the following conditions:

1) You are using a parallel cable between the printer and computer - no
USB->LPT
conversion cables.
2) You are running your DOS program from within Windows, and not from
True DOS.
3) You configure your DOS program to use one of the following drivers:
HP
Deskjet 500, HP Deskjet 550C, and HP Laserjet II.

Please note that Lexmark only supports printing within Windows. We
cannot
guarantee that these HP drivers will work for you. If your printer works
fine
with other Windows applications (like Wordpad), but fails with your DOS
program,
you should contact your DOS program manufacturer or Microsoft for more
assistance.

END of QUOTE

 Has anyone on the list tried a USB Printer??? It woulld appear that
XYWIN is really a modified DOS app to run under windows rather than a
true windows app. Carl, comment?? If my perception is correct, members
of the list should be aware that XY will NEVER be capable of supporting
USB printers, either directly or via windows.
 Thanks to all for your support and especially for all suggestions.
Dick Giering